Saturday, October 19, 2013

Meal Reviews...

So we've been trying to add new meals to our monthly menu and I have a couple that we've tried.  The first one was a week ago.  One of the things I've been trying to do

.::Spaghetti Squash Spaghetti::.
Spaghetti Squash, cut in half and gutted
Favorite spaghetti sauce recipe. 

I had a friend suggested that we could do this in the crockpot.  Since Saturdays are our short day at the office, I chose to do that.  Our crockpot gets rather hot, even on low so we turned it on as we were walking out the door.  Last time we made spaghetti, we made extra sauce and froze it so I just dumped in the sauce.  Once the sauce was in, I cut the squash in half, cleaned all the goo out and flipped them upside down in the sauce. 

How we liked it...
Well, I have to say, our spaghetti sauce left something to be desired flavor wise.  I meant to add some seasonings to it and I forgot.  Otherwise, it was okay.  We may try this one again with some different sauce.

_________________________________________


.::Zucchini Lasagna::.
Below is the recipe we used.  I'm sure you could use any sauce that you wanted but I decided to follow hers just because.  The sauce was super simple, it was the simmering that took the most time.  I didn't have a mandolin but I did have one of those hand cheese slicers and I just used that to slice the zucchini.  If you have to cut them by hand, make sure you cut them into decently thin slices.  I also wasn't about to fire up the grill just for a few pieces of zucchini so I used our square griddle/skillet thing and just grilled them on there after spraying a little olive oil cooking spray.  The goal is mainly just to cook them so you can do it however. 

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/02/zucchini-lasagna.html

How we liked it...
Honestly, I was kind of skeptical at first but it turned our really good.  I didn't have fresh basil but I did have some dried stuff and it worked just fine.  I don't think ours was in quite as long as she said because the cheese started to brown and I didn't want to burn it.  At one place she says 350 degrees, another she says 375...stick with the 350.  This is a meal we'll be having again. Even Luke liked it.  :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment