Sunday, October 20, 2013

A Special Month

Each year as October 20th rolls around, I am so happy.  You see October 20 was the day that I got to marry my best friend.  Each year that blessing grows greater and greater...so lets start from the top. 

.::2009::.
I deal with anxiety so the night before we got married, I got very overwhelmed by everything that was going on. Alex took me on a late night walk where we shared some french fries and the worst chocolate milkshake we had ever had.  Seriously, it tasted like mud. 

After walking me back home, he drove the hour back to his house where he got a few hours of sleep before needing to get up the next morning.  I too ended up not getting to bed till around two the next morning.  There is a story behind why I was up so late but that's for another time. 

The next morning, I got up at five and headed over to a friends.  She did a wonderful job on my hair and I thank her so much.  When I got back home, my soon to be husband was in the kitchen with the rest of my family, making/eating breakfast and waiting for me.  I was so giddy the moment I saw him...what bride to be wouldn't have been?

When it was time to go my parents loaded up in the van and we got in the jeep.  All was going well until we reached St. Johns area.  We were stopped at a light when a huge semi truck came screeching up behind us.  My dad, who was in front of us scooted up as far as he possibly could with out hitting the person in front of him.  Alex followed till he was right on our bumper and the semi, well he was inches off our bumper by the time that he stopped.  I was grateful he stopped where he did because we had no where to go.  There was oncoming traffic on one side and a concrete wall on the other. 

We made it to the temple a short time later.  My grandmother, mother and I went into the lady's dressing room where I put on my beautiful white temple dress that I'd picked out.  I loved how giddy all the older ladies were, it just made me happy.  One told me that EVERYONE knew who we were because we were the only sealing happening that day (it was a Tuesday, early in the morning).  Some people asked me why I didn't wear my 'wedding dress' when I went through the temple.  You see, each time we go through the temple we wear the same dress as we do work for ourselves or other.  Each time I go now, I put that dress on, the one that I've made those sacred, everlasting covenants in.  To me, that is a reminder of what I did that day. Once I was dressed we went into a little room where I was given some instructions.  Occasionally a tear rolled down my cheek, they were tears of joy. 

When they finally were ready to go (or what they thought was ready), they took Alex and I up to the Celestial room where we sat and waited.  The Celestial room represents the highest kingdom or glory (1 Corinthians 15:40-41) and is a beautiful place where we can sit, ponder, pray, and receive personal revelation. A couple of the ladies came in a few times to tell us we were still waiting on our Bishop who had a flat tire on the middle of the bridge on his way down...Satan REALLY, REALLY didn't want us getting married. Looking back now, it makes us smile because my parents also faced multiple trails when we were sealed as a family. 

Once our Bishop made it there, the two ladies came and got us.  Before taking us into the sealing room, our sealer pulled us a side and told us something that has forever stuck with me.  At the time, this piece of revelation was something that we did not understand but it became relevant a short time later in our marriage.  Our sealer took us into the sealing room where Alex walked me to the alter.  I knelt down on one side and he walked around to the other...I don't think our hands ever separated. In the temple, we don't say 'vows', we make covenants and kneeling across from each other, that is just what we did.  We covenanted to stay together for all time and eternity and it was the best day of our life. 

Once we were done, we each went and got changed, me into my dress and Alex, into his suit.  Since we were done a little early, we went out into the foyer and waited for family to arrive.  Once family started arriving we went into the atrium and took some pictures. 
 


After more family arrived we headed outside to take more pictures...brrrr, it was cold that day but beautiful none the less. The colors outside were definitely the color of fall and everything fit together perfectly.  We didn't pay anyone to take pictures, we just had family take them and we had many that turned out great.  






 We spent the rest of the day surrounded by so many who loved us and I am truly grateful. 

.::2010::.
Jump forward a year and there just must be something not so great about October 19th.  You see, just before I laid down that night, I thought my water broke and yet, I didn't have a strong feeling to call my midwife so I put it off till the next morning.  Catherine was out of the office but Regina told me to come in.  After further examination we found that it indeed had not but she said she wasn't shocked.  She also told us to go out and enjoy ourselves on our first anniversary but I wasn't feeling great so we headed towards home.  We stopped at Fred Meyers and grabbed a few things that we needed but we weren't there for long because my back was hurting. 

When we got home we both went in and took a nap hoping that by relaxing, my back would stop hurting.  When we got up my back was feeling a little better so Alex made us dinner.  We sat down and ate and then just as we finished, the pain became almost more than I could handle.  He called my midwife and she said she would send a nurse up and we'd go from there.  My nurse arrived a short time later followed by Regina...she said she had 'a feeling' they all needed to come.  Behind her by a few minutes was a nursing student.  The nurse had told Alex to start filling the birthing pool and then things took a turn for the worse...they realized our little monster had flipped and was breech.

Regina, bless her heart, jumped on the phone and started calling all over to hospitals.  I was a disaster as tears streamed down my face.  Pleading with her not to make me have a c-section she found a doctor at OHSU who said he would possibly deliver breech but we didn't have time to get there.  She called Salmon Creek where Doctor Erich was on duty and he told them to bring me in. 

The whole way to the hospital I was trying NOT to push.  Between contractions I said a prayer and knew that everything would be okay no matter what I chose.  If I felt like my child's life had been endanger I wouldn't have fought so hard but at the very moment, I felt empowered, I felt strong, I felt...like I could do nearly anything. 

At 1:07am on October 21st, 2010 Lukas Gene Johnson arrived into this world a healthy, strong willed little boy.






I love this picture, not only because of the fact that it was my amazing husband giving his little monster his first bath, but also because it shows just how tiny Luke used to be.  I still have a hard time believing he was ever THAT small. 

.::2011::.
Our little monster turned ONE.  Ahh that year flew.  I couldn't believe the changes he went through.  In that year he went from a size newborn to 18 month clothing.  We never thought he was going to get into the 12 month clothing though because he didn't really start growing until he was nine months old. 

His first birthday was one to remember.  It was the first time he stood up with out holding onto something for support...at least for any length of time.  His GGma got him an old fashioned top that he was totally enthralled with.





At first he wasn't sure about this whole cake thing but he soon dove in and thoroughly enjoyed it.  I used to of our mini two cup pyrex baking dishes and stacked them to make his own cake which he loved.


He also loved his fish tank even though he could just see in.  He would just stand there and get so excited when the fish would swim up close to the front. (By the next year he could reach the top).



.::2012::.
October of the next year my brother came home from his two year mission in New York.  I was so proud of him for serving the Lord, but I was more happy that his nephew finally got to meet him.



Any time we talk about 'Uncle Josh', he get so excited.  He really loves his Uncle Josh. 


.::2013::.
This year we have a lot going on.  Today is our 4th anniversary, time really does fly. Its also the day that I hit 30 weeks along in my pregnancy with Kaylee.  I can't believe I only have 10 weeks till my estimated due date (even though I have a feeling she won't make it that far).  Tomorrow, our little monster will be turning 3...where has time gone?  I'm excited as this year has brought us a lot of new and exciting things and I'm grateful for each one.  I've learned to be grateful for the challenges and trials that we go through because they only bring us closer as a couple and as a family.  I'm excited that we get to welcome our baby girl into this world.  I keep telling her that she has to make it at least another 7 weeks.  We will celebrate Luke's birthday tomorrow here and down with family next month.









No comments:

Post a Comment