Thursday, June 27, 2013

Recent Happenings

First, I'm going to forewarn you that this post is long. 

Now that I've started feeling a bit better and getting a little energy back, we've been a bit busy.  We did go in for my 12 week doctors appointment and he said that baby isn't quite bit enough to move my due date forward...BUGGERS. Oh well, its just a date and most babies aren't even born on their due date anyway.  We did get to hear babies heartbeat again although he was having a hard time finding it because he wasn't over baby.  He kept looking for it really low but baby is sitting higher this time around so it was very faint. We are going to have our ultrasound right around week 19 to find out if its a boy or a girl. 

I've loved the sunshine and to be honest, it has helped me feel a bit better.  Unfortunately, most of the sunny days I've ended up sorting through a bin of rocks we've picked up on the beach trying to find unique ones that would fit into the wine bottle tiki torches...and I've ended up sun burnt.  

We also started making some really neat driftwood wind chimes and mobiles.  Below is just one of the ones that we've made.  


Since we've had fairly good weather, we've had our 10x10 tent up on the weekends working on selling some of my crafts. Its felt good to actually watch things sell.  We are working on switching to more 'beach' like items so that people will buy them as souvenirs.

Last week Alex got a call from Service Live, a company that contract out work for other companies.  We ended up taking a little trip yesterday.  We drove up to Lake Quinalt area.  It was very wet (imagine that, a wet rain forest). We wanted to hike the falls but between it raining cats and dogs and not having the cash for a (state) park pass, we decided we wouldn't go hiking but I did get some really pretty pictures.


On our way home we made a side trip out to Ocean Shores to see what was out there.  It reminded me a lot of Long Beach.  It made us grateful to live in such a tiny town.  While it would be nice to have a little more traffic through here, it also is nice not to be a bigger town. 

When we got back into Aberdeen we stopped at the Home Depot to pick a microwave since ours started smoking all of a sudden.  We found the one we wanted and headed back over to Walmart to pick up the couple things we needed and drove past Safeway...State Bomb Squad truck?  Caution Tape? It was a little scary.  Apparently they had recieved a bomb threat shortly after 10:30 in the morning and evacuated calling in the WA state police and bob squad.

Once we got home we plugged in our brand new microwave and guess what...it didn't work, at least not like it should.  Ugg we called the company and they told Alex he could repair it as long as he didn't break anything.  Sadly we didn't have the tools to do so so Alex called up home depot and the manager was great.  She told us to bring it back and we could exchange it for a new one and she gave us a $20 discount off because we had to drive all the way back.  We really didn't want to but we drove all the way back in.  Safeway had reopened after nothing was found and we got our new microwave which we tested before leaving the store.  :)

OUR GARDEN

 Because of the mosquitoes, we don't spend much time in the garden on cooler days but when it gets hot I try and get out there for a little while because they all seem to disappear. Here are a few picture from this morning...

Here is our cabbage.  Our broccoli and cauliflower are about the same size.  They are growing quickly which I'm so grateful for. I'm hoping that it will keep growing at this rate because I love munching on fresh veggies.  

This was Luke's favorite...our pumpkin plants are growing in leaps and bounds considering they were one of the last things planted.  As soon as they get a little bigger I'm going to build them a trellis to climb up so they aren't on the ground.  


This is one I'm excited for...our lettuce all of a sudden got its second leaves and now they're getting big.  I may have to thin them just a bit.  


I've never had swiss chard but I've heard a lot of people talk about it so we're trying it along with Kale.  Both are doing really well and getting big. 


These were the first things to come our...our beets and I thought after they got their first leaves that they were never going to grow but this heavy rain has done them some good.  Their leaves are now 2+ inches long.  I am kind of miffed that something has been nibbling on them though.  


Here is our one large bed.  Our strawberries got so big they started climbing out through the tops of the bottles so I had to take the bottles of and pray that they could fend for them self.  Our carrots have started growing really fast on top.  I was really hesitant to even plant tomato after all the things I've heard but so far they are doing well and growing quickly.  I had to thin them out yesterday because they all came up and they were bunched.  Our artichoke came up recently and I was shocked to find it growing so quickly even though it took so long to get started.  The tiny little bell pepper plants just came up.  I don't know how they'll do but its our first year and everything is trial and error.  the back row is our butternut squash and its doing quite well.  I'm hoping we get a lot that we can freeze and can so that we can make our own fresh baby food next year.  Its a little hard to see but in the back the pop bottles are now protecting my sunflower plants...something is eating them and I'm just waiting till I can catch what ever it is.  I doubt its a bug since they all had their tops last night and by this morning, the top of the one I couldn't over is totally gone. 


Our green bean plants are looking good although I've found something munching on them.  The cucumbers are taking a little longer to get started but they're hanging in there and our corn, well some of it is growing quickly and some is taking its sweet time.  


Here is one of the corn plants.  Its one of our larger ones and I'd say its about 6 to 8 inches tall...if you held all its leaves straight up, I'd guess it would be close to 10 to 12 inches tall.  


Here is our bed a pea plants, corn and pickling cucumbers.  The pea plants took forever to come up, once they did they've taken off, especially with the rain.


Here is Luke's garden.  Its coming along slowly because he likes to mess with the plants...a little tribulation will only make them stronger, right?


Last but not least is our zucchini plants.  They ended up in one of the big buckets outside of the garden because I thought I'd planted some but realized I hadn't.  They've come up and have grown really fast, probably because Luke is obsessed with watering that one bucket.  :) These I'm not going to thin.  They do get bushy but we got a ton of zucchini off the ones we had a couple years back and we love zucchini.  


 This morning I got a weather alert saying that we might be getting temperatures well into the 80's and 90's and even possibly over 100.  I'm praying it doesn't hurt the garden. 

No comments:

Post a Comment