Monday, September 9, 2013

The day I dread...

For some the glucose test is just another part of pregnancy, but for others like myself, it is dreaded.  Last time I took the test, no one gave me any warning about how it would make me feel.  I was given the choice between the syrupy drink (which everyone said was gross) or a bag of jelly beans.  Of course I chose the jelly beans.  I was given 30 minutes to eat them and then my blood was drawn 30 minutes after I finished. In the mean time I ended up not feeling good at all.  My midwife had to turn on the AC just to keep me from getting sick at the office.  I went through hot flashes and would go from pale to bright red.  In the end, I passed with flying colors which is no surprise to me. 

Today I had to do that same test again, except this time I had to drink the syrup.  I had the choice between orange and lemon lime...I chose the lemon lime.  It was hard to get down but I managed it with in the 5 minutes, then the clock started.  I went and sat back down in the lobby.  Fifteen minutes in and I was feeling the effects, although this time, it was different.  Rather than sweating and over heating, I started shaking and shivering.  I knew my body was in over drive. 

For those who don't know, I have dealt with low blood sugar levels (hypoglycemia) since before I was out of high school.  I had to carry glucose tablets for many years although I have managed to balance my diet to a point where its rare that I have challenges.  Unfortunately this the gluecose test has adverse effects because of this.  My body rapidly processes sugars and so to raise the levels so high all at once causes my body to go into overdrive.   I also had to fast this time, which is something I haven't done in about five years.  Last time I fasted my roommate and her sister had to practically carry me to the car after church because I started to pass out. 

Apparently they were running behind because they didn't even get me into a room till 9:30 but in a way I was grateful.  I got into the room with one of those big comfy recliner arm chairs that rock.  I just laid my head back, half way curled up and rocked.  Alex took Luke out to go potty and my doctor came in.  He told me I didn't look good and to just sit still...so I did. We talked about a few things and then he told me to go get my blood drawn and then eat. 

I had to sit there for about 15 minutes before they could do the draw.  Once I was done we headed for the truck so I could eat/drink something and headed on to do our shopping.  We spent the afternoon shopping along with an appointment for the business.  I kept getting dizzy if I bent over to grab something off the shelf, it didn't seem to matter how slow I stood up.  I also took the tape off my arm and have a funny looking (splotchy) bruise.  Sadly, its not from where I was poked but where the tape didn't want to come off. 

For the most part I've just lazed around tonight as I'm still not feeling the best and I ended up with a headache.  I'm praying for a "good night sweep" as my little monster says.  Hope it will help to clear part of this out of my system. 

No comments:

Post a Comment